This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Municipality of Paterna del Campo (Huelva Province, Andalusia, Spain)

Huelva Province

Last modified: 2010-03-20 by eugene ipavec
Keywords: paterna del campo | crown: royal (closed) | bridge (white) | bezants: 8 (blue) | branches: 2 (olive) | olive branches: 2 | castle (gold) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Municipality of Paterna del Campo (Huelva Province, Andalusia, Spain)] 2:3
image by Wikipedia Users:Apj and MiguelAngel fotografo, 01 Aug 2009

See also:


The municipality of Paterna del Campo (3,764 inhabitants in 2008; 13,240 ha) is located 60 km north-east of Huelva.

Paterna del Campo is located, together with Escacena del Campo and Castilleja del Campo, in the region known as "Campo de Tejada." In the 10th-6th centuries BC, the main settlement in the area was Old Tejada, a significant mining and trading center. Afterwards, mining declined and Old Tejada was superseded by New Tejada, a rural settlement. In the Roman times, New Tejada, located mostly on today's Paterna territory, was known as Itucci; the water of the Alpízar source was transported via an aquaduct to Italica, the first brand-new Roman town in Hispania and the birth place of emperors Trajan and Hadrian, today the town of Santiponce, Province of Seville. The name of Paterna refers to the Latin word "pater," "father," probably recalling that a Roman senator ("pater patriae," "father of his country") owned an estate ("villa") in the neighborhood.

The Christian reconquest of Seville in 1253 did not prevent the "Moorish king of Tejada" from ruling a state for a few more decades. The castle of Alpízar, probably built over a Roman estate, marked the border between the "taifa" of Tejada and the Kingdom of Castile; after the seizure of the castle, King Sancho IV granted the title of "villa" to Paterna in 1291. In spite of a big effort of resettlement and the development of grapevine, wheat and olive tree cultivation, Paterna was not significantly developed until the 19th century. Pyrite and iron extraction boosted the town in the beginning of the 20th century for a short time, followed by the mining crisis and massive emigration.

Source: Municipal website

Ivan Sache, 01 Aug 2009


The flag of Paterna del Campo was approved by the Municipal Council on 23 June 2004 and submitted on 8 July 2004 to the General Directorate of Local Administration, which confirmed it by Decree on 15 July 2004, published in the Andalusian official gazette (Boletín Oficial de la Junta de Andalucía, BOJA) No. 148 on 29 July 2004.

The relevant parts of the Decree are the following:

Rectangular flag in proportion 11 x 18 made of three parallel stripes perpendicular to the hoist, the first red, of height 4/7; the second black, of height 1/7, and the third blue, of height 2/7. Centered overall the municipal coat of arms.

The symbols should be registered on the Andalusian Register of Local Entities, with their official written description and graphics (as originally submitted, but unfortunately not appended to the Decree).

Source: BOJA No. 148, p. 16,881, 29 Jul 2004

The municipal flag is presented in great detail on the municipal website.

Based on extensive search in archives and heraldry source books, and following the recommendation by the Royal Academy of History that municipal symbols should be based on the coat of arms of its former rulers, red, black and blue were selected as the flag colours. In "Arecibimiento que hizo la Muy Noble y Muy leal Ciudad de Sevilla a la Católica Real Majestad del Rey D. Phelipe II nuestro señor," the chronicler Juan de Mal Lara relates the visit made by King Philip II to Seville on 1 May 1570. A great arch, named "Hercules' Arch" was built at the Royal Gate to welcome the king; the arch was decorated with personifications of Seville and the villages placed under its jurisdiction; Paterna del Campo was represented by a woman wearing a red local dress ("basquiña") and a blue tunic ("ropa"), holding a basket full of grapes in her right arm and with a jar of olive oil at her feet. Red and black recall the antique town of Tejada; red and blue are the main colours of the municipal coat of arms. Finally, the three colours are the main heraldic colours of the lords who owned the town.

Red represents the erection of the Royal "villa" of Paterna by Sancho IV in 1291, as the colour of Castile. Blue is taken from the arms of the lords of Federighi; Luís Federighi y Fantoni, a knight of the Order of Caltarava of remote Florentine origin, purchased the town from Philip IV on 31 March 1660. On 3 July 1690 (Decree confirmed by Letters Patented on 11 May 1694), King Charles III made Antonio Federigui y Solís, Fantoni y Cerón de Henestrosa, second lord of Paterna del Campo, Marquis of Paterna del Campo.

Red and black also represent the "Hermandad de las Benditas Animas y del Sr. San Onofre" (Brotherhood of the Holy Souls and of St. Onofre), based at the St. Francis convent of Seville, which was granted Paterna del Campo on 18 March 1720. Red is the main colour of the arms of Diego Joseph Fernández de Miranda y Gómez-Hidalgo, second Marquis of Premio Real, who purchased Paterna del Campo from the brotherhood on 22 December 1743. Red and black have also been used by the local football team since its foundation in the middle of the 20th century and by other local sports clubs.

Blue and red represent the infinity of the sky and of the fire and light impregnating the soil of the municipality. Finally, it was decided to place the three colours horizontally on the flag, with red on top and with a larger height, since this colour is the most represented on the arms of the former rulers of the town; the respective sizes of the black and blue stripes follow the same rule. The colours are prescribed as (this prescription does not appear in the Decree): – Red: Pantone 032c; – Black: Pantone Process Black Y; – Blue: Pantone 072c.

The initiation of the flag approval process was decided by the Municipal Council on 23 October 2003.

Source: Municipal website

Ivan Sache, 01 Aug 2009

Coat of Arms

The municipal coat of arms is presented on the municipal website.

The coat of arms was approved by the Municipal Council on 1 June 1989 and confirmed by the General Directorate of Local Administration on 22 September 1992, based on the recommendation issued by the Royal Academy of History on 14 July 1991. The coat of arms is: "Per pale. 1. Azure eight bezants one in the middle surrounded by the other, representing Federighi, Marquis of Paterna del Campo. 2. Gules a tower with five crenelations and a central window divided by a vertical column ("ajimez"), or masoned sable, flanked by two branches of olive vert fructed of the same and fimbriated argent; standing on a one-arched bridge argent masoned sable over waves argent and azure. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown closed [lengthy description omitted].

Source: Consejería de Gobernación de la Junta de Andalucía" (Governing Council of Andalusia) to publish the municipal symbols in a book, its updates and on its website. This particular decree inculdes more details on the meaning of the coat of arms. The tower represents the urban center of the town; built in mudéjar style, it surmonts the entrance gate located at the foot of the St. Bartolomew parish church. The bridge and waves represent the bridge built over river Tejada, which waters the plain of Paterna del Campo. The branches of olive recall that olive is the most important agricultural resource of the municipality.

Source: Municipal website

Ivan Sache, 01 Aug 2009