This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Namur (Municipality, Province of Namur, Belgium)


Last modified: 2012-02-25 by ivan sache
Keywords: namur | namen | sambre et meuse | wepion | beez | dave |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Flag of Namur]

Municipal flag of Namur - Image by Filip van Laenen, 21 November 2001

See also:

Municipal flag of Namur

The municipality of Namur (105,000 inhabitants) is the capital of the Province of Namur.

The unofficial municipal flag is horizontally divided black-yellow.
The colours of the flag come from the municipal arms, "Or a lion rampant sable crowned langued and armes gules".

Source: Flags of the Low Countries

Jarig Bakker, 21 November 2001

Former flag of Namur

[Former flag of Namur]

Former flag of Namur, c. 1900 - Image by Ivan Sache, 12 June 2005

Nouveau Larousse Illustré, Dictionnaire Universel Encyclopédique (7 volumes, published in Paris, 1898-1904) shows the flags of the main Belgian towns, then based on the traditional colours of the towns.
The flag shown for Namur is horizontally divided yellow-black-red.

Jan Martens & Ivan Sache, 12 June 2005

Yacht clubs

Beez Boating Club

[BBC burgee]         [BBC burgee]

Burgee of BBC, two versions - Images by Ivan Sache, 9 August 2010

Beez Boating Club (BBC), founded in 1969, is based at Beez (1,509 inhabitants in 2007), a former municipality incorporated into Namur in 1976.
The burgee of BBC, as shown on photos (no longer online) taken in the BBC's club house, is blue with the white emblem of the club and the white letters "BBC". The photos show another, slightly different version of the burgee, seemingly older or home-made, with a dark blue background and the white letters "bbc".

Ivan Sache, 9 August 2010

Cercle de Voile de Dave

[CVD burgee]         [CVD pennant]

Burgee and pennant of CVD - Images by Ivan Sache, 22 August 2010

Cercle de Voile de Dave (CVD) is based at Dave (1,490 inhabitants in 2007), a former municipality incorporated to Namur in 1976.
In 1971, the waterman Léon Lomba, too ill, had to retired and offered his barge to the local yachtmen, who transformed the barge, renamed Titine, into a floating club house. Titine is moored on river Meuse, along the park of the Dave Castle - built in the 14th century and totally revamped in the 18th-19th centuries by the Dukes Fernan Nunez -, upstream from the Dave Island - the biggest island in Belgium.

The emblems of CVD are prescribed in Article 1 of the Club Regulations (text), published in April 2005 in the club journal Les Échos de la Titine, as follows:

I. Colours, burgee and pennant of the C.V.D.
The colors of the domain and of the municipality of Dave are blood and silver. The pennant of the C.V.D. shall be triangular in shape, made of two colours placed horizontally, red over white.

Indeed not described in the Regulations, the burgee of the CVD, as seen on photos taken in the club house of the neighbouring Beez Boating Club, is horizontally divided red-white, with the club's emblem placed in the red stripe.

The emblem of CDV is a red oval charged with a white sailboat "made of" the stylized letters "CDV", "C" for the left sail, "D" for the right sail and "V" for the hull, and flying the club's pennant. The full name of the club is written in white capital letters in the base of the emblem.

Ivan Sache, 22 August 2010

Royal Club Nautique Sambre et Meuse

The Royal Club Nautique Sambre et Meuse (RNCSM) was founded in 1862 by a number of rowing enthusiasts, including the famous artist Félicien Rops. It is established at Wépion, a village on the river Meuse south of Namur, the town where this river and its tributary Sambre meet.

The flag of RCNSM seems to be a very dark blue flag with the club emblem in white. The emblem, as shown (in colour) on the website of the FFYB is made of an oval shield, azure, three silver mullets (pierced?) above a bar or in chief, and a diagonally placed anchor, argent, in base. The shield is surmounted by a royal crown and placed in front of two crossed oars, has the club name R.C.N.S.& M. as a motto and is flanked by two sorts of plants, perhaps laurel and reed.

Jan Mertens, 13 March 2007

Royal Yacht Club de Sambre et Meuse

Royal Yacht Club de Sambre et Meuse (RYCSM, website)), founded in 1909, is based at Wépion.

The burgee of RYCSM, as featured on the club emblem, might be blue with the white letters RYCSM and a white royal crown in the upper hoist.

Jan Mertens, 12 February 2007