This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Dyida (Transcarpathia, Ukraine)


Last modified: 2023-01-28 by martin karner
Keywords: transcarpathia | dyida | deda | berehovo | mezevgomok | bishop mikulash | fortress | tower | grapes | ears | lamb |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

See also:

Other Sites:


Last weekend Dyida - Déda village adopted their flag and Coat of Arms. See: <>.
Dyida - Déda is a village in Berehovo - Beregszász raion of Transcarpathia. The village has got cca. 1900 inhabitants (95% Hungarian; 1989 census). The village was in Bereg (In Ucrainian: Bereh) County of the Kingdom of Hungary till 1919/1920  (Romanian later Czechoslovakian occupation / Treaty of Trianon). 1920-1938 part of Czechoslovakia, 1938-1944 part of Hungary (after the Decision of Vienna). As a part of the "Carpathian-Ucraine" "reunited" with Ucraine in 1946.
István Molnár, 6 September 2002

From the site of Ukrainian Heraldry: "The village was found at 1957 by association of villages Beregdyida and Mezevgomok. Mezevgomok is Hungarian-Slovak village in Nadtysans'kyi region. Its lands were owned by Gomoki family. The arms is bishop Mikulash with mitre and bishop's staff in hands.
Beregdyida is Hungarian village located for 5 kilometers to west from Berehovo. On western part of the village is located "To-var" fortress. This small fortress has a diameter of 25 meters and rounds by 3 earthen shaft. It placed in the centre of an impassable bog and had only through 2 wooden bridges of 400 meters length constructed on the oak poles, placed in two lines. First time the "To-var" was mentioned at 1274. The arm is fortress wall with embrasures."
Dov Gutterman, 29 September 2002

Beregdyida is the cirilic form in Latin letters. Originally: Beregdéda. Mezevgomok is the cirilic form in Latin letters. Originally: Mezohomok. Nadtysans'kyi region is the cirilic form in Latin letters. Originally: Nagy Tiszai means Great Tisza region - but the original name of the district was Tiszaháti district!!
"To-var" fortress is the cirilic form in Latin letters. Originally: Tóvár means Fort Lake.
The name of the settlements:
-1920 Beregdéda and Mezohomok (Hungary)
-1920-1939 Deda and Homok (Czechoslovakia)
-1939-1944 Beregdéda and Mezohomok (Hungary)
-1948-1990 Diedovo and Gomok (till 1957) (Soviet Union)
-1990-1995 Dyida (Ukraine)
-1995- Dyida / Déda (Ukraine)
In 1910 Beregdéda has got 896 Hungarian and 2 other inhabitants, Mezohomok has got 252 Hungarian and 8 Ruthenian inhabitants. I think Slovakians settled to the village in 1920-1939.. but the 1989 census haven"t found any Slovakians in the villages..
Beregdéda was the tenure of Erzsébet Szilágyi mother of King Mathias (1458-1490), later tenure of János Korvin son of King Mathias. The people of Déda is Calvinist - the fourth field of the Coat of Arms relates to them. (The Coat of Arms of the Hungarian Calvinist Church and Debrecen city).
István Molnár, 5 October 2002

Coat of Arms

The image of the Coat of Arms of the village was sent by Ferenc Pál.
István Molnár, 6 September 2002

From the site of Ukrainian Heraldry: "The shield is divided quaterly by an argent fillet cross. In the first gules part bishop Mikulash with argent mitre and or bishop's staff in hands. In the second vert part is argent fortress tower with a gules window and gate. In the third vert part is a gules bunch of a grapes on an or branch accompanied by the two or ears. In the fourth gules part on two vert hills goes argent lamb with or hoofs. He takes argent gonfalone with gules cross and accompanied on the parties by the or sun and argent half moon. On the azure motto are date of village basis, date of the arm statement, and also village name in the Hungarian and Ukrainian languages".
Dov Gutterman, 29 September 2002