This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Cardenete (Municipality, Castilla-La Mancha, Spain)

Last modified: 2019-10-14 by ivan sache
Keywords: cardenete |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors


Flag of Cardenete - Image by Ivan Sache, 20 June 2019

See also:

Presentation of Cardenete

The municipality of Cardenete (495 inhabitants in 2018; 9,751 ha; municipal website) is located 75 km south-east of Cuenca.

Cardenete is of disputed etymology. Some say that the village was named for a temple dedicated to the Phoenician god Neton, "Caro Deo Natoni" (Cherished God Neton), abbreviated into "Car D Net". Other believe that the village was a stronghold (alcazar) of the Zenete Berber tribe, as "Al-kars Zenete".
In the Roman times, Cardenete was most probably located on a secondary road; the present-day's fountains of the village appears to be of Roman origin. Evidence of Muslim occupation is provided by two small bridges. After the Christian reconquest, Cardenete was incorporated to the Marquisate of Moya.

The building of the Nuestra Señora de la Asunción church (46 m x 24 m) was initiated by the Marquess in 1500 and mostly completed in 1554. The tower (35 m in height) and the ornamented back gate were added in the 17th century, while the organ was set in 1767. The church was registered an Historical-Artistic Monument of National Significance by Royal Decree No. 4,049, signed on 22 December 1982 and published on 4 February 1983 in the Spanish official gazette.
The first Marquess of Moya, Andrés de Cabrera, also ordered the building of the Cardenete fortress, which was performed from 1520 to 1540 on a small hill overlooking the village. The fortress is a rectangle of 31 m on 27 m, protected by four corner towers; the south-eastern tower is 13.70 m in diameter, while the three other towers are of 11.5 m in diameter. Another, semi-circular tower, of 16 m in diameter, is appended to the southern wall of the fortress. The tower's width ranges from 2.80 m to 3.40 m. The fortress might never had been completed, nor even inhabited. In the 17th century, it was owned by the Marquess of Villena, who had married María Teresa de Arias Pacheco y Bobadilla, Marchioness of Moya.

Ivan Sache, 20 June 2019

Symbols of Cardenete

The flag of Cardenete (photo) is prescribed by an Order issued on 24 October 2005 by the Government of Castilla-La Mancha and published on 10 November 2005 in the official gazette of Castilla-La Mancha, No. 226, p. 20,368 (text).
The flag is described as follows:

Flag: In proportions 1:1, diagonally divided into two equal parts, 1. Gules, 2. Gray or argent. Charged in the center with the municipal coat of arms of Cardenete.

The coat of arms of Cardenete is prescribed by an Order issued on 14 November 2001 by the Government of Castilla-La Mancha and published on 27 November 2001 in the official gazette of Castilla-La Mancha, No. 123, p. 13,442 (text).
The coat of arms is described as follows:

Coat of arms: Per fess, 1a. Or a pine vert, 1b. Gules a caliche or surmounted by an eight-pointed star argent, 2. Argent a fortress gules. The shield surmounted by a Royal crown closed.

The Royal Academy of History rejected the proposed arms because it is "no way opportune" to include in arms designed from scratch an emblem used by the town of Cuenca for the 13th century [the chalice]. The incorporation of Cardenete in the Province of Cuenca does not support such an inclusion. The other elements of the arms could be accepted, provided the "fortress" is represented as an usual castle and not as a perspective, unheraldic view of fanciful walls standing on a base not mentioned in the description. The Academy proposed a new design, as "Per pale, 1. Or a pine vert, 2. Argent a castle gules. The shield surmounted by a Spanish Royal crown."
[Boletín de la Real Academia de la Historia 195:3, 529. 1998]

Ivan Sache, 20 June 2019