This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Daimiel (Municipality, Castilla-La Mancha, Spain)

Last modified: 2019-09-16 by ivan sache
Keywords: daimiel |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

See also:

Presentation of Daimiel

The municipality of Daimiel (18,051 inhabitants in 2018, therefore the 6th most populated municipality in the province; 43,830 ha; municipal website) is located 30 km north-east of Ciudad Real.

Daimiel was already settled by the Celtiberians and the Romans. The archaeologic site of Motilla del Azuer, located 11 km of Daimiel and excavated in 1973, was settled during the Age of Bronze (2200-1500 BC). It is composed of a central tower surrounded by different fortified buildings connected by narrow streets forming a kind of labyrinth. The well is believed by some historians to be the oldest known well of Iberia. Groups of more than 100 people lived in stone houses erected out of the fortified area.
Located close to river Guadiana, the town was fiercely disputed by the Christians and the Muslims. After the definitive Christian reconquest, the place was transferred to the Order of Calatrava, which established one of its richest towns. Daimiel was first mentioned, as Daymiel, in 1245.

The National Park of Las Tablas de Daimiel was established by Decree No. 1,874, issued in 28 June 1973 by the Spanish Government and published on 30 July 1973 in the Spanish official gazette, No. 181, pp. 15,464 (photo).
River tables, a specific component of the La Mancha ecosystem, are wetlands formed by the floods or river Guadiana and Gigüela and favored by the lack of slope. The Tablas de Daimiel were first mentioned by Infante Juan Manuel's Libro de la Caza (1325).

Ivan Sache, 17 May 2019

Symbols of Daimiel

The flag of Daimiel (photo, photo, photo, photo, photo), which does not appear to have been officially registered, is diagonally divided blue-white from the lower hoist to the upper fly, with the municipal coat of arms in the center. with a red Cross of the Order of Calatrava.

The coat of arms of Daimiel does not appear to have been officially registered either, in spite of having been approved by the Royal Academy of History ([Boletín de la Real Academia de la Historia 172:3, 722-723. 1975]), as follows:

Coat of arms: Spanish shield. Argent a Cross of Calatrava gules (red) superimposed with a tower or masoned and port and windows sable (black). The shield surmounted by a Royal crown open.

The coat of arms is based on the seal "of immemorial use" forwarded on 28 October 1876 by Saturnino Gómez to the Governor of the Province of Ciudad Real.
[Municipal website]

The arms, of "immemorial use" were those of the Commandery of Daimiel, ran by the Order of Calatrava.
[Ramón José Maldonado y Cocat. 1973. Heráldica municipal de la provincia de Ciudad Real. Cuadernos de Estudios Manchegos 4, 84-109]

Ivan Sache, 17 May 2019