This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Bad Frankenhausen at Kyffhäuser City (Germany)

Stadt Bad Frankenhausen am Kyffhäuser, Kyffhäuserkreis, Thüringen

Last modified: 2022-10-15 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: bad frankenhausen | castle | lion(yellow) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Bad Frankenhausen at Kyffhäuser city banner] 5:2 image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 8 Oct 2022
See also:

Bad Frankenhausen at Kyffhäuser City

Bad Frankenhausen Banner

It is a red-yellow vertical bicolour. The coat of arms is shifted towards the top.
Sources: §2(2) of local Hauptsatzung, version 7 July 2003 and this online catalogue
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 8 Oct 2022

Bad Frankenhausen Coat of Arms

Shield Gules a castle Or with broad gate tower flanked by two turrets, all roofs horizontally striped of Gules and Or and topped by balls Or, above the gate a portcullis Sable, in gate an inescutcheon Azure, charged with a lion rampant Or.
Frankenhausen had been populated by Franconian settlers and was mentioned before 900. Being an imperial estate, since the 11th century it was acquired by the Counts of Weimar-Orlamünde, afterwards by the Counts of Rothenburg and finally by the Counts of Beichlingen. In 1340 it was acquired by the Counts of Schwarzburg and it was a part of the Principality of Schwarzburg-Sondershausen, to which it belonged from 1599 until 1918. It had been seat of the so called "lower lordship" with proper authorities. In Frankenhausen salt had been produced since 998. Around the brine a settlement near the Oberkirche (= upper church) developed. Around the St. Peters Church a village developed, later known as Altstadt (= old town). In the 12th century another settlement came to being, called a town in 1219 and a city in 1284. The settlement was founded by the Counts of Beichlingen. The city was walled around 1300 and until 1354 the Neustadt (= new town) was added, also walled and including the brine. On 15 May 1525 the largest battle of the German Peasants War took place 1 km north of the city. 5000 of 6000 peasants were killed and 600 captured. In 1818 the city became a spa. The arms are known since 1384 by a local seal print. The castle is tressing the character of a city and the inescutcheon displays the arms of the Counts of Schwarzburg, who bought the city in 1340.
Source: Bensing et alii 1984, pp.126-129
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 8 Oct 2022

The banner is in use and adopted at least since 2003, probably earlier. The arms are traditional.
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 8 Oct 2022

back to Kyffhäuser cities and municipalities click here