Last modified: 2021-05-21 by klaus-michael schneider
Keywords: greiz | castle | inescutcheon | lion(yellow) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
It is a blue over white horizontal bicolour with centred coat of arms. It was used without arms probably until 1933.
Source: Stefan Schwoon's database
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 4 Oct 2016
Shield Argent, a building Or, masoned Sable, roofed Gules; in central chief an inescutcheon Sable, charged with a lion rampant Or, armed and tongued Gules.
Since the 12th century the area was ruled by the Reeves of Weida, the predecessors of the Counts of Reuß. The counts resided in Greiz without interruptions between 1306 and 1918, between 1357 and 1547 as vassals of the Wettin kin, and between 1547 and 1806 as vassals of the Kingdom of Bohemia. Since 1768 Greiz hat been the ancestral seat of the older line of the Reuß kin. The village developed since the 13th century and was first mentioned as a city in 1359. The inhabitants did a bit agriculture and crafts. In 1660 the industry of clothiers was introduced, later also of weavers and dyers. In the 18th century the local production of textiles had international customers.
The arms have been in use since the 17th century, but the composition of castle and shield already appeared on the late 14th century seal of the city. The castle or walled city is symbolising the city itself. The inescutcheon displays the arms of the Counts of Reuß in the 14th century. From 1951-1991 the small shield with the lion was replaced by a golden hammer and weaver shuttle in saltire in a blue inescutcheon, symbols for the local industry. In 1991 the historical arms were restored.
Source: Bensing et alii 1984, pp.166-167
Klaus-Michael Schneider, 4 Oct 2016 / 15 May 2021
back to Greiz cities and municipalities click here