This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Wertingen County until 1972 (Schwaben District, Bavaria, Germany)

Landkreis Wertingen

Last modified: 2012-03-31 by german editorial team
Keywords: landkreis wertingen | wertingen county | coat of arms: chief (lion: black) | coat of arms: chief (lion: passant guardant) | coat of arms (fess: lozengy) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Wertingen County until 1972 (Schwaben District, Bavaria, Germany)]
by Stefan Schwoon
Flag and coat-of-arms adopted 26th January 1962, abolished 30th June 1972

See also:


Black-yellow-blue, adopted 26.01.1962. Wertingen was incorporated into Dillingen during the 1972 municipal reform. Sources: Linder and Schmidt 2000, arms image from Stadler 1964-1972.

Stefan Schwoon, 29 August 2001

From Ralf Hartemink's International Civic Arms website:

The arms were granted on January 26, 1962.

The upper part shows the arms of the Princes of Hohenstaufen, the oldest known rulers in the county. They ruled the whole county until 1268. The lozenges in the middle bar are the arms of the Wittelsbach dynasty, Dukes and Kings of Bavaria, and successors of the Hohenstaufen family. The lower part shows the arms of the diocese and State of Augsburg, as the Bishops of Augsburg also had several possessions in the county.

Literature: Stadler 1964-1972.

Santiago Dotor, 31 July 2003