This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Orleans, Santa Catarina (Brazil)

Last modified: 2021-12-11 by ian macdonald
Keywords: santa catarina | orleans |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Flag of Orleans,
SC (Brazil)] image by Dirk Schönberger, 13 July 2012

See also:


The municipality of Orleans (22,912 inhabitants in 2019; 54,951 ha) is located 200 km south-west of Florianópolis.

Orleans was established in the territory offered by Emperor Pedro II to his daughter, Princess Isabel (1846-1921), in the aftermath of her marriage with the Count d'Eu (1842-1922), celebrated on 15 October 1864. Officially assigned on 17 October 1870, the territory covered 98 leagues in the Santa Catarina and Sergipe states.
In 1881, land surveyors and engineers hired by the prince delimited an area of 12 leagues to establish the Grão-Pará colony. On 26 December 1884, the Count d'Eu boarded a special train with the engineers to select the place to establish a new town; after having reached a suitable place, he proclaimed "Here shall emerge a town named Orleans". The town's name was a tribute to his family, the house of Orléans. Gaston d'Orléans (1842-1922) was granted the title of Count d'Eu at his birth by his grand-father, Louis-Philippe I, King of the French (1830-1848).
The princely patronage allowed the swift development of a modern town, with large avenues that proved to be perfectly suitable for automobile traffic, decades after their building.

The district of Orleans do Sul was established by Provincial Law No. 1,218 promulgated on 2 October 1888. The municipality of Orleans was established by State Law No. 981 promulgated on 30 August 1913. Renamed to Orleães by Decree Law No. 941 promulgated on 31 December 1943, the municpality had its original name re-esttablished in the 1970s, following a visit by Prince Pedro de Orléans and Braganza.
Municipal website

Ivan Sache, 4 November 2021

Description of the Flag

A horizontal tricolour, red-white-blue, 1-2-1, with the municipal arms in the centre.

Official website at
Dirk Schönberger, 13 July 2012

The arms of Orleans are prescribed by Municipal Law No. 146 promulgated on 14 July 1954.

Article 2.
The arms of the municipality shall have the following composition.
a) A shield in Portuguese shape, divided per pale.
b) In the first quarter, three horizontal stripes, of equal width, red, argent and red, respectively.
c) The stripes superimposed by a green lozenge whose points do not reach the vertical division.
d) The lozenge contains in the center a golden bladed wheel surrounding a blue disc charged with the Southern Cross constellation, which is composed of five stars argent.
e) The second quarter has a field azure, containing in the upper part a "brush bench" [label] composed of a strip with three hanging triangles. In the center, three fleurs-delis arranged in an inverted triangle.
f) None of the charges of the second quarter shall reach its edges.
g) Supporting the shield, left a miner holding a pickaxe and a lamp, wearing blue overalls and short boots, right a laborer holding a hoe, wearing kaki trousers and a white shirt.
h) Beneath the shield a green and yellow scroll inscribed in blue letters the motto in capital letters "União Trabalho Liberdade" (Union Work Liberty).
i) Above the shield a black mural crown with five towers, the central towers with a green gate.

Article 5.
The arms of the municipality shall be designed in compliance with the following norms.
II - The shield shall be 6 units in length on 5 units in width.
III - The shield shall have a plane upper part, vertical sides, and for base a semi-circle whose radii converge on the vertical division line, the radii being of 2.5 units in length.
IV - The division line shall divide the shield vertically into two equal parts, reaching the shield's upper and lower edges.
V - The lozenge in the center of the outer quarter shall be 5 units in width on 2 units in length.
VI - The bladed wheel in the lozenge's center shall be inscribed in two circles of 0.5 and 0.25 unit in radius, respectively.
VII - The bladed wheel shall have eight curved cogs that form a chop when an imaginary movement of rotation from right to left is invoked.
VIII - The Southern Cross constellation, on a blue disc in the center of the bladed wheel, shall be formed of five five-pointed star, the central smaller than the other ones.
IX - The horizontal stripes divide the first quarter into three equal parts.
X - In the second quarter shall be inscribed in its upper part, on an imaginary stripe of 1.5 unit in width, an horizontal stripe of 1.5 unit in length and 0.3 unit in width; from its upper ends, two triangles and one in the center, with bases turned downwards [...]
XI - The fleurs-de-lis shall be 1.5 unit in width, included into an inverted isosceles triangle, the leaves distant from the center of the lower flowers of 2 units.
XII - The scroll inscribed with the motto is 1 unit in width, 11.5 units in length [...]
XIII - The scroll shall be, in the center of its upper edge, 0.75 unit from the shield's lower edge.
XIV - The scroll forms a light curve in its median third, grossly matching the shield's profile in the base semi-circle [...]
XV - The mural crown shall be 1 unit in height, while its base is 3.75 units in length. The height of the five towers shall be 1.5 unit in height and 0.75 unit in base.
XVI - The crown's walls and towers shall be surmounted by crenels in the upper part. The central tower is gated with an arched door.
Municipal website


Ivan Sache, 4 November 2021