This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Navegantes, Santa Catarina (Brazil)

Last modified: 2021-12-11 by ian macdonald
Keywords: santa catarina | navegantes |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Flag of Navegantes,
SC (Brazil)] image by Ivan Sache, 4 November 2021

See also:


The municipality of Navegantes (83,626 inhabitants in 2020; 11,145 ha) is located 100 km north of Florianópolis.

Navegantes, located on the left bank of river Itajaí, was originally a feudal domain granted in 1795 to Manoel da Costa Fraga. In 1820, Antônio de Menezes Vasconcelos Drummond was granted by the colonial court of Rio de Janeiro the lands located close to river "Tajaí-Mirim", where he built the first sawmill in the area and a shipbuilding where the first "sumaca", a light boat used to transport products to Rio de Janeiro, was designed.

Navegantes was originally a village depending on the parish of Santíssimo Sacramento de Itajaí, founded in 1824 by José Coelho da Rocha and his wife. The place was listed on religious and civil documents as Lado Norte do Rio (North Bank of the River), Pontal (Point) or Outro Lado do Rio (Other Side of the River). The settement was composed of the Itajaí beach (now, Navegantes beach) and of the hamlet of Pontai (now Navegantes' São Pedro and Central boroughs), which was settled by seafarers and fishers. In 1895, Antônio Cardoso Sacavém and his wife, Maria, offered a plot to build a chapel, whose building was authorized on 23 January 1896 by the Episcopal Chamber of Curitiba; consecrated on 2 February 1898, the chapel was dedicated to Our Lady of the Seafarers (Nossa Senhora dos Navegantes), St. Sebastian and St. Amaro; at the time, the place was known as Povoado de Santo Amaro (St. Amaro's Settlement). The statue of the Blessed Virgin, acquired in Rio de Janeiro by Manoel dos Santos Gaya, was inaugurated on 8 September 1899 in a solemn procession.

Povoado de Santo Amaro was renamed to Bairro de Navegantes (Seafarers' Borough) by Resolution no. 189 issued on 17 December 1912, elevated the municipality of Navigantes by State Law No. 828 promulgated on 30 May 1962.
Municipal website

Ivan Sache, 4 November 2021

Description of the Flag

A white over blue horizontal bicolour with the municipal arms in the centre in a yellow lozenge.

Official website at
Dirk Schönberger, 10 July 2012

The cross is the symbol of people's Christian faith and of their religious spirit inherited from the Portuguese ancestors.
The anchor is the seafarers' emblem. Navegantes is a land of seamen. Navegantes was established between the river and the sea by seafarers and fishers.
The plane, the most modern means of transport, recalls that Navegantes has Santa Catarina's second biggest airport.
The boat symbolizes navigation at the time of sailboats, here represented by a caravel, the oldest means of navigation.
Municipal website


Ivan Sache, 4 November 2021