This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Brusque, Santa Catarina (Brazil)

Last modified: 2021-12-11 by ian macdonald
Keywords: santa catarina | brusque | cogwheel | bend sinister | axe |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

Flag of Brusque, SC (Brazil) image by Ivan Sache, 1 November 2021

See also:


The municipality of Brusque (134,723 inhabitants in 2019; 28,344 ha) is located 100 km north-west of Florianópolis.

Brusque was established in 1860 by 55 German colonists. On 25 July 1860, they sailed from Santa Catarina island to Itajaí on the "Belmonte", a steamer that had served during the Paraguayan War. Provincial Governor (1859-1861) Francisco Carlos de Araújo Brusque (1822-1886), for which the town would be subsequently renamed, was aboard, as well as Baron von Schneeburg (1799-1869), the Austrian director of the colony.
The district of São Luiz Gonzaga was established within Itajaí by Provincial Law No. 693 promulgated on 31 July 1873. The municipality of São Luiz Gonzaga was established by Provincial Law No. 920 promulgated on 23 March 1881 and inaugurated on 8 July 1883. The municipality was renamed to Brusque by State Decree No. 77 promulgated on 17 January 1890.
Municipal website

Ivan Sache, 1 November 2021

Description of the Flag

The flag of Brusque is prescribed by Municipal Law No. 959 promulgated on 19 March 1981.

Article 1.
The new flag of the municipality of Brusque shall be: A rectangular white field, charged in the center with the municipality's official arms described in Article 3 of Municipal Law No. 156 promulgated on 22 December 1956.

Article 2.
The flag of the municipality shall have modular dimensions proportional to those of the national flag.

Article 9.
Law No. 350 promulgated on 29 July 1968 is abrogated.
Leis Municipais database

The abrogated Law, however, is labeled 'non-existent act, unused number".
Leis Municipais database

The coat of arms of Brusque is prescribed by Municipal Law No. 2,351 promulgated on 28 June 1999, which amended Aerticle 4 of Municipal Law No. 156 (unavailable) promulgated on 22 December 1956.

Article 4.
The municipal coat of arms symbolized, through the restored traditional Portuguese shield, the original national filiation, following the most generalized style used in Brazilian municipal heraldry.
The green field recalls the forest found by the early settlers, from 1860 onwards and even earlier, on the banks of river Itajaí-Mirim, which is represented by a fess wavy argent. Pioneer work by the first settlers and developers, first of them Vicente Ferreira de Melo aka Vicente Só and by sawmills operated by Pedro José Werner, Francisco Sallentien and Paulo Kellmer, as recalled by the first groups of German, Polish and Italian established at the time, is represented by an axe or. Finally, cloth industry founded by Carlos Renaux [1862-1945], as well as the other industrial and social activities of his other firms, which were main factors of progress and development for the municipality, are symbolized by a cogwheel or placed on the green field, surmounting the pioneer's Christian spirit and faith represented by a golden cross. Or and green emphasize labor and force used for the common motherland, Brazil, and its golden and green flag.
On a red scroll representing love and enthusiasm for the motherland, the name of the municipality in letters argent, and, to maintain the required homogeneity with the shield, years "1860" and "1881", recalling 4 August 1860, the day President of the Province Francisco Carlos de Araújo Brusque permitted the establishment of the aforementioned German colonists, and 23 March 1881, the day of establishment of the municipality of Brusque, as well as of the old colonies emancipated from Itajaí, Brusque's original name, and Principe Dom Pedro, also the root of the municipality of Novo Trento established in 1892.
Leis Municipais database


Brusque Jeep Clube

Flag of Brusque Jeep CLube, SC (Brazil) image by Ivan Sache, 1 November 2021

The flag of the Brusque Jeep Clube is blue with the club's emblem in the center.

[The two standard bearers are so lovely and take their role so seriously...]

Ivan Sache, 1 November 2021