Last modified: 2022-03-05 by ian macdonald
Keywords: parana | campina grande do sul |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The municipality of Campina Grande do Sul (43,685 inhabitants in 2020; 53,925
ha) is located 30 km north-east of Curitiba.
Campina Grande was established in 1666 as part of the municipality of Arraial Queimado (Bocaiúva do Sul). The parish of Campina Grande, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, was founded in 1873. Campina Grande was renamed to Glycerio in 1880, but the inhabitants obtained the restoration of the old name within one year. The municipality of Campina Grande was established in 1882 and inaugurated on 22 March 1884.
In 1939, Campina Grande was downgraded to a district split between Piraquara and Bocaiúva do Sul. Law No. 199 promulgated on 30 December 1943 renamed the town to Timbú, which was elevated a municipality by State Law No. 790 promulgated in 1951, and eventually renamed to Campina Grande do Sul in 1956, upon the inhabitants' request.
The flag and arms of Campina Grande do Sul are prescribed by Municipal Law No. 45 promulgated on 6 December 2006.
The coat of arms of Campina Grande do Sul, designed by heraldist Raul Breno Marquardt, is described as follows: A shield divided per pale, first, azure the Serra do Mar in base a sun shadow or in the central chief's canton; second, green a Brazilian pine eradicated or a fess wavy argent three waves azure. The shield supported dexter by a branch of khaki with green leaves and red fruit and sinister by a branch of yerba mate with green leaves. Beneath the shield a scroll argent inscribed with "CAMPINA GRANDE DO SUL" surrounded by dates "22.3.1984" dexter and "14.11.1951" sinister. The shield surmounted by the heraldic symbol representing a town, a mural crown with eight towers, only five of them visible, with black open gates and windows, the three front towers represented in full and the two lateral in half.
The coat of arms has the following interpretation.
I. The first quarter featuring the Serra do Mar and the sun shadow represents the municipality's natural resources, a national pride and model of environmental preservation and respect of the future of mankind.
II. The second quarter featuring a Brazilian pine represents the labor of Campina's people, struggling who build their future, like a Brazilian pine, Paraná's main symbol.
III. The fess wavy represents water resources in the municipality of Campina Grande do Sul.
IV - The branches of khaki and yerba mate highlight the fertility of the municipality's generous soil and emphasize agriculture as a basic sources of municipal income.
V - The mural crown argent with eight towers classifies the municipality as a town.
VI - On the scroll, the toponym identifies the municipality while the dates represent the dates of the foundation of the settlement and of its political emancipation, respectively.
The flag of Campina Grande do Sul, designed by [void], is described as follows: Flag tierced per bend blue, white and green, the municipal coat of arms applied to the white stripe.
A rectangular parallelogram quadrilateral of 20 units in the horizontal dimension and 14 units in the vertical dimension. A white stripe in bend forming two triangular polygons in the ends, blue at the top and green at the bottom. The stripe is located between angle D of unit A1, angle A of unit A5, angle A of unit P14, angle B of unit T14, angle B of unit T9 and angle D of unit F1. The stripe is charged with the municipal coat of arms, located between angle D of unit H5, angle A of unit H10, angle B of unit M10 and angle C of unit M5.
Leis Municipais database
This Law abrogated Municipal Law No. 30 promulgated on 24 December 2003, which "altered the flag of the municipality".
The flag is composed of a rectangle with the same proportions as the national flag, divided in the center by a diagonal stripe running to the upper right corner, which forms two triangles, the upper blue and the lower green; in the flag's center, [...] in white and slightly slanted to the left, a clover formed by four hearts.
§1. Green represents the intense plant canopy and the areas of environmental preservation that form a sizeable part of the municipality's territory, as well as Campina Grande do Sul's commitment to sustainable development.
§2. Blue represents the sky and water of the rivers, especially the great volume of the Capivari Reservoir, one of Campinas Grande do Sul's main symbols.
§3. White represents transparency and peace.
§4. The four hearts, harmoniously arranged in a clover pattern, symbolize the perfect balance between the four fundamental pillars of the process of sustainable development and of the formation of Campina Grande do Sul's identity, which are:
I. The settlement, its organizations and cultural and religious manifestations.
II - The municipality's privileged geography.
III - The political power and the municipal public institutions.
IV - Economy and all the activities that generate jobs, labor and income.
Leis Municipais database
This Law abrogated Municipal Law No. 7 promulgated on 20 May 1983, which prescribed a former version of the municipal symbols.
The flag of the municipality of Campina Grande do Sul, designed by R. Daubek, has the following heraldic characteristics, which were amended by Sebastião Ferrarini.
§1. The flag is composed of a quadrilateral vert (green) crossed from the [upper] right to the lower left angle by a white stripe, charged in the center with the coat of arms of the municipality of Campina Grande do Sul.
The coat of arms of the municipality of Campina Grande do Sul has the following characteristics.
§1. The coat of arms of the municipality is shaped like a brown pine cone, the fruit of the Brazilian pine.
§2. In the shield's lower part, on a field vert (green), a field worker sable (brown) and yellow, working the soil, the expression of work conditions in the municipality.
§3. In the shield's upper part, the profile of the Serra do Mar with three peaks on a field azure (blue) celestial, the rising sun as a symbol of life and promising fruit, whose rays are superimposed to the shield and the scroll, which is gules (red) with the writing "CAMPINA GRANDE DO SUL" in white letters.
§4. The coat of arms of Campina Grande do Sul is surrounded right by a green branch of Brazilian pine and left by a green branch of yerba mate fructed, representing the municipality's resources, tied in base by a fess gules (red) inscribed in white "22-3-1884", the municipality's date of foundation.
Leis Municipais database
This Law abrogated Municipal Law No. 7 promulgated on 5 August 1961, which prescribed the first municipal flag.
The flag of the municipality of Campina Grande do Sul, designed by Rodolfo Daubek, has the following characteristics.
a) The flag is composed of a green quadrilateral, crossed from the upper right to the lower left angle by a white stripe charged with a pine cone, whose content representing a field worker and a tractor, is the expression of work conditions in the municipality, working the soil. Framing the fertile field, the profile of the Serra do Mar with three peaks, a sun, symbol of life, whose rays are superimposed to the shield and the scroll, which is gules (red) with the writing "CAMPINA GRANDE DO SUL" in white letters. The cone is surrounded right by a green branch of Brazilian pine and left by a green branch of yerba mate fructed, representing the municipality's resources, tied in base by a fess gules (red) inscribed in white "22-3-1884", the municipality's date of foundation.
Leis Municipais database
Ivan Sache, 1 February 2022