Last modified: 2021-12-23 by rob raeside
Keywords: general güemes department | chaco province | argentina |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The municipality of Juan José Castelli (27,201 in 2010) is the capital of the General Güemes Department, Chaco Province.
The Juan José Castelli, established on 21 March 1930, was settled in June 1931 by 300 families of Volga Germans coming from La Pampa. The colony was officially inaugurated and named on 3 October 1936. The municipality of Juan José Castelli was established on 1 April 1945.
The municipality is named for the lawyer and politician Juan José Castelli (1764-1812). Nicknamed "May Orator" or "Speaker of the May Revolution", Castelli was one of the leaders of the May Revolution.
The flag of Juan José Castelli is vertically divided yellow-white-green, with an emblem in the white stripe made of three vertical celestial blue stripes arranged in a pyramid surmounted by a brown triangle.
The flag was officially presented on 9 August 2014 during the celebration of the 63rd anniversary of the establishment of the Chaco Province. A drawing was presented, and it appears that the flag has not been produced in the cloth yet.
The flag was selected in the contest "Una Bandera para Mi Ciudad" (A Flag for my Town) organized by the municipality.
Fourteen proposals were evaluated by a jury that included Orlando Gadoti, the designer of the flag of the Chaco Province.
Arnaldo Soria, the designer of the flag, explained its meaning as follows:
Yellow represents the sun that always shine over the region.
White represents cotton and the part of the region dedicated to production.
Green represents the woods that surrounds the town.
The three blue lines represent the origin of the people who built up the municipality (the natives, the creoles, and the immigrants). The intercalation of white stripes recalls the national flag.
The emblem represents the local obelisk. This obelisk (18 m in height), erected on the main square of the town, was inaugurated on 3 October 1937 to celebrate the first anniversary of the official inauguration of the town.
Ivan Sache, 16 Aug 2014