Last modified: 2012-12-04 by rick wyatt
Keywords: berrien county | michigan |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Jens Pattke, 11 February 2012
Based on: www.berriencounty.org/forms/directory.pdf
- indicates flag is known.
- indicates it is reported that there is no known flag.
Municipal flags in Berrien County:
The flag of Berrien County is shown at www.berriencounty.org/forms/directory.pdf, and the accompanying text says:
"Berrien County, comprising of 585 square miles in the Southwestern corner of Michigan, prominently appears in the earliest recordings of history in the Northwest Territory. Father Marquette, French Missionary, entered the St. Joseph River mouth in 1669, and French explorer LaSalle built Fort Miami at the present site of St. Joseph City in 1679. Fort St. Joseph was established by the French in 1691 just south of the present site of the city of Niles. The fort was surrendered to the British about 1761, captured by Chief Pontiac in 1763, taken by the Spaniards in 1781, and by the United States after the Revolutionary War. Thus it became known as "the Land of Four Flags," which is the theme of the new Berrien County Flag adopted in July, 1967."André Coutanche, 18 July 2005
Quarterly very dark blue and dark red with a thin yellow cross overall, on
the quarters white elements: two stars, two towers, two fleurs-de-lis, and two
António Martins-Tuválkin, 11 February 2012
image by Jens Pattke, 24 July 2005
Although probably not the flag of Berrien County, this image shows the color distribution on the shield that appears on the flag.