Last modified: 2009-11-07 by ivan sache
Keywords: berane | monastery (black) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Berane - Image by Eugene Ipavec, 24 June 2009
The municipality of Berane (35,068 inhabitants in 2003, 11,776 in the town of Berane proper; 717 sq. km) is located in north-eastern Montenegro.
Part of the Serbian medieval state until its seizure by the Ottomans
in 1455, the area of Berane, known as Budimlja, was a significant
political, economic and religious center. In 1219, St. Sava founded
here one of the first Serbian episcopates; the area was ran by seven
bishops and nine metropolitans. The most famous of the several local
monasteries and churchs, the Đurđevi Stupovi monastery was built at the end of the 12th century by Stefan Prvoslav, the nephew of Prince Stefan Nemanja.
From 1949 to 1992, the town of Berane was renamed Ivangrad after the partisan leader Ivan Milutinović (1901-1944).
Ivan Sache, 24 June 2009
The flag of Berane is white with the municipal coat of arms in middle. The building represented on the arms is the Đurđevi Stupovi
The flag seems to be used only indoors, together with the national flag of Montenegro.
Aleksandar Nemet & Ivan Sache, 24 June 2009