Last modified: 2012-12-29 by editor unassigned
Keywords: jekabplis | courland | krustpils | kreutzburg | latgale | livland | sloboda | daugava | sala pub | jacobstadt |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
by Gvido petersons, 25 July 2000
Recently a flag for Jekabpils city was introduced . The design
of flag is close to flag of Kuldiga
and have common roots - heraldic colors of Duke Jacob of Courland.
Population: 28 384 (1999). Area: 23 sq.km.. Distance to Riga: 145 km.
From Jekabpils city map (Jana seta Map Publishers 1999):
"The present borders of the city were set in 1962 when the neighbouring city Krustpils was joined to Jekabpils. The history of Krustpils goes back to 1237 - as it has been mentioned in historical chronicles, this is the year when Nicholas de Magdeburg built Krustpils (Kreutzburg) Castle. This was the first castle built by the German invaders in Latgale (Livland). Gradually a small village spread around the castle building. In 1585 the Polish King Stefan batory presented Krustpils to Nicholas Korf. The Korfs left their estates as late as in 1920. The only descendants of the Korfs still keeps in touch with the present hosts in the castle. In 1626 severe battles took place between Swedish and Polish troops around Krustpils Castle. The Poles won the battle, however it took two centuries for the people of Krustpils to restore the damage caused.
Jekabpils was formed in the middle of the 17th century as a settlement (the so-called Sloboda) of the persecuted Old Believers from Russia near Sala Pub on the left bank of the Daugava. Its upswing was fostered by the passing-by trackers, who due to the riffles of the river had to trans-ship their goods into carts. The Daugava lost its strategic significance in 1861 when the railway Riga-Daugavpils was built. In 1670 the settlement aroun Sala Pub received city rights and was named after its founder, the Duke of Courland as Jekabpils (Jakobstadt)".
Gvido Petersons, 25 July 2000