Last modified: 2011-06-13 by editor unassigned
Keywords: siauliai | raudenai |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Virginijus Misiunas, 3 December 2009
From booklet: DISTRICT OF SIAULIAI AND ITS CONTEMPORARY
"Raudenai - During the times of the Grand Dutchy of Lithuania Raudenai was a branch of the Dirvonenai minor Ducal estate. In the act of 1611 Sigismundus Vasa calls it "villa nostra" (our estate). The growth of the settlement is closely linked with the estate, which was owned by B. Berdovskis at that time. Under his initiative the church of St. Balthasar the Apostle was built in 1611. As there were only a few Lithuanian priests the parishes of Raudenai and Tryskiai were administered jointly. In 1622 the parish of Raudenai expanded its rights and territory with the permit by King Sigismundus Vasa.
In 1739 a new church was built, but the present wooden church in the construction from 1881 and with a valuable collection of paintings and wood carvings from the 18 di century stands.
The number of the population in Raudenai grew from 273 in 1859 to 406 in 1986.
Raudenai is located 14 km to the west from Kursenai on the left bank of the river Rauda. Being 40 km from Siauliai it was the home town of such outstanding figures as K. Pakalniskis, V. Telksnys-Lankaitis and others.
Raudenai never had a coat of arms so it was agreed to depict the Lithuanian national musical instrument kankles, much attention to which was given in the 16 th century by J. Bretkunas, T. Lepneris, K. Donelaitis, S. Daukantas and others. Many museums exhibit kankles of the 18th-19th century. Folklore expeditions have collected sayings that kankles of the highest quality are made from a tree cut on funeral days. The symbol of kankles has been chosen because of the name of the river that crosses the settlement. St. Cecyl, patroness of music in the Lithuanian folklore, is often depicted with kankles in her hands.
The coat of arms depicts the golden kankles on the upper field of the shield. The shield is divided into two fields - of green and silver, the devision is marked by a row of fir trees (design by Laima Ramoniene).
The Raudenai coat of arms was confirmed by the President of the Republic of Lithuania on March 24, 2000."
Audrius Slapsinskas, 24 June 2003
Raudenai (Siauliai District) - On a green field with
fir-topped silver head golden kankles sinister bendwise. Flag
proportions 10:11, free edges bordered with golden rope, finial
is a golden tip with golden bands. The green field and fir
line mean woods of fir-trees surrounding the town. The
kankles symbolizes the name of town: "rauda" means
"lament", and traditional Lithuanian laments were
often accompanied with kankles.
Virginijus Misiunas, 3 December 2009
image by Audrius Slapsinskas, 24 June 2003