This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Atlantska plovidba (Shipping company, Croatia)

Atlantic Shipping

Last modified: 2011-08-20 by ivan sache
Keywords: atlantska plovidba | anchor (white) | letters: ap (white) | dubrovacka plovidba | letters: dp (white) | napried | letter: n (white) | unione | letters: ur (white) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors



[House flag]

House flag of Atlantska plovidba - Image by Željko Heimer, 16 June 2001


See also:


Presentation of Atlantska plovidba

Atlantska plovidba d.d., based in Dubrovnik, succeeded in 1955 Dubrovačka plovidba. There was indeed a gap of eight years between the nationalization of the old company into Jugolinija and the formation of Atlantska, following pressure for the decentralization of the shipping industry.
The company is still the leading shipping company in Dubrovnik.

Željko Heimer & Neale Rosanoski, 10 November 2004


House flag of Atlantska plovidba

The house flag of Atlantska plovidba, as shown by Josef Nuesse, is red over blue with a white anchor between the white initials of the company, "AP".

Željko Heimer, 16 June 2001


Dubrovačka plovidba (Dubrovnik Shipping)

[House flag]

House flag of Dubrovačka plovidba - Image by Željko Heimer, 18 October 2004

The company was established in 1881 as Dubrovačka parobrodska plovidba (Dubrovnik Steamship Line - also known as Ragusea). After the First World War it was joined by both Napried and Unione and became the base of the Yugoslav merchant fleet. In 1939, it operated 14 coastal and 11 intercontinental ships. In World War II, its ships were joined into allied convoies, while the coastal lines were confiscated by Italians, most being destroyed in fighting. After the war, the remaining ships were nationalized and mostly granted to newly formed companies in Rijeka.

The house flag of Dubrovačka plovidba, as shown by Isaić [isa01] and Brown's 1958 [wed58], is red over blue with a white anchor between the white initials of the company, "DP".

Željko Heimer, 18 October 2004


Navigazione a Vapore Napried

[House flag]

House flag of Napried - Image by Željko Heimer, 16 October 2004

The company was established in 1894 with a first ship named also Napried; the name was also spelled "Naprijed". In 1912, the company operated eight ships owned by captains Marinović and Negini; in 1913 was added the ship Dubrovnik. Two ships were lost in the First World War; in 1918, Napried was merged with Dubrovačka parobrodska plovidba.

The flag of Napried, as shown in Lloyd's book of house flags and funnels (1912) [llo12], is a red over blue bicolour with the white letter "N" overall. This flag yielded a whole set of house flags from Dubrovnik whose variations are still used today. These colours come from the Croatian tricolour and from the red and blue barry coat of arms of Dubrovnik.

Željko Heimer & Ian Sumner, 16 October 2004


Navigazione a Vapore Unione

[House flag]

House flag of Unione - Image by Željko Heimer, 1 January 2004

Unione was established in 1898 by Ivan Račić as an overseas line company. In 1907, the company operated seven cargo ships, of which three were transferred to Slobodna plovidba Ivo Račić i drugovi. In 1914, it had 14 cargo ships. In 1918, Unione was merged with Dubrovačka parobrodska plovidba.

The flag of Unione, as shown in Lloyd's book of house flags and funnels (1912) [llo12], is a red over blue bicolour with the white cypher "UR", for "Union Ragusa", overall.

Željko Heimer & Ian Sumner, 16 October 2004