Last modified: 2012-03-28 by ivan sache
Keywords: krizevci | cross: triple (white) | arm (white) | arm (yellow) | star: 6 points (yellow) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Križevci - Image by Željko Heimer, 14 July 2000
The town of Križevci was established in the early Middle Ages; in 1225 it became the seat of a County and in 1245 it was granted Free Royal Town rights by Ban Stjepan, which was confirmed by King Bela IV in 1253. At the time the sessions of the State Parliament were held in Križevci. The town was developed as dual, the aforementioned part became the upper town (Gornji Križevac), while the lower town (Gornji Križevac) was granted civic rights in 1405, when it was fortified against Turks. The two competing towns were finally united in 1752 by Empress Maria Theresa, therefore the plural form of the name Križevci ("Cross"; Latin, Crux; German, Kreutz; Magyar, Kórös).
Križevci is the seat of the Greek Catholic Bishopric of Croatia.
Željko Heimer, 20 February 2002
The symbols of Križevci were approved by the Ministry of Administration on 21 February 1997, as reported by D. Ernečić [erc03].
The flag is in proportions 1:2, grayish blue with the coat of arms, bordered white, offset to the hoist.
Grayish blue is considered the traditional color of the town.
In mid 1990s, Križevci used a bicolor flag with horizontal fimbriation, maybe blue over dark yellow with a white fimbriation (photo, Glas Podravine, 3 May 1996).
Željko Heimer, 11 August 2009
Coat of arms of Križevci - Image by Željko Heimer, 14 July 2000
The coat of arms is "Azure, two hands proper clasping each other embowed, dexter armoured argent and sinister clad or, holding a triple cross patty of the second between in chief two mullets of the third".
In 1752, the united town was granted a coat of arms with a triple cross, canting for the town name, with two arms holding it and a crown above the shield. One is armoured to represent the former upper town that was under military government and the other is in civilian cloth for the mercantile, lower town. The symbol of the upper town was a simple cross, while the symbol of the lower town was a double cross (Glas Podravine, 22 March 1996).
Subsequently, the coat of arms was used in different artistical renditions, differing mainly in the outer ornaments. The current simple shield, designed by Zdenko Balog, a local heraldist, was adopted in 1997, together with the flag.
The Town Assembly insisted on having a crown over the shield, even if the state regulations explicitly prohibit it (Glas Podravine, 12 April 1996).
On 1 October 2002, the Town Assembly adopted a Decision to change the coat of arms and the flag (local news). The intention was to revert to the historical design of the coat of arms and flag, accordingly. This was in the mid 1990s rejected by the central authorities, but the town authorities beleive that they shall have more luck this time.
Željko Heimer, 11 August 2009