Last modified: 2011-07-16 by ivan sache
Keywords: nord | saint-andre-lez-lille | gate (yellow) | cloaks (ermine); 3 | swords: 3 (white) | marquette |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Saint-André-lez-Lille - Image by Ivan Sache & Pascal Vagnat, 7 March 2010
The municipality of Saint-André-lez-Lille (10,792 inhabitants in 2006; 316 ha) is located a few kilometers north-west of Lille. The preposition lez means "nearby"; derived from Latin latus, "side", and often written lès or les (with possible confusion with the plural article les, "the"), this preposition has survived in modern French only in toponyms.
Saint-André was originally a parish that developed north-west of the
fortified town of Lille. In 1667, Lille was reincorporated into the
Kingdom of France and Vauban increased the town's fortifications;
Saint-André was cut into two parts, the one incorporated into the town
of Lille and the other, still a rural area, known as Saint-André hors
des murs (Saint-André beyond the walls).
Saint-André hors des murs became the municipality of Saint-André during the French Revolution, its first mayor being elected on 2 February 1790. The new municipality had no longer a parish church, an oddity that was corrected only in 1848.
During the industrial revolution, several factories were built along river Deûle while rich burghers from Lille had their châteaux (manors) in Saint-André. This was reflected by the increase in the population, from 331 in 1796 to 3,500 in 1901, 5,000 in 1921 and 10,000 in 1962.
Source: Municipal website
Ivan Sache, 7 March 2010
The municipal flag of Saint-André, as used during the official
ceremony of twinning with the Polish town of Wieliczka (13 January
1996, photos), is horizontally divided red-blue (2:1), with the gate of the
abbey of Marquette, in yellow, in the red stripe, and three ermine
cloaks, each supported by a vertical sword, in the blue stripe.
The flag is a benner of the municipal arms.
The municipal arms of Saint-André, dated from the beginning of the 20th century, are Coupé, au premier de gueules à la porte de l'abbaye de Marquette d'or; au second d'azur à trois manteaux d'hermine soutenus chacun par une épée en pal rangées en fasce ("Per fess, 1. Gules the gate of the abbey of Marquette or, 2. Azure three cloaks ermine per fess each supported by a sword per pale").
The gate of the former abbey of Marquette, located on the municipal
territory of Saint-André like several buildings of the abbey, was
demolished in 1943. The Notre-Dame de la Barrière chapel was built in
1925 on the model of the abbey's gate; the chapel recalls a miracle
operated by the Blessed Virgin in the 16th century, when rascals
attempting to cross the "barrier" surrounding the abbey were stopped
by a statue of the Virgin placed on the top of the barrier.
Founded by Joanna of Flanders in 1228, the Cistercian abbey of Marquette was suppressed during the French Revolution. The exact location of the abbey remained unknown until 2002, when the historian Benoît Chauvin identified its site, a highly contaminated waste plot belonging to the chemical company Rhodia, a finding which was confirmed by excavations (See Huit ans d'archéologie sur le site de l'abbaye de Marquette (Nord, 1998-2005), in B. Chauvin, Études d'histoire et d'archéologie cisterciennes, Bulletin du centre d'études médiévales d'Auxerre 10/2006 [full text]).
Pascal Vagnat & Ivan Sache, 7 March 2010