Last modified: 2011-06-10 by ivan sache
Keywords: alpes-de-haute-provence | chateau-arnoux-saint-auban | castle (white) | letters: ca (black) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Château-Arnoux-Saint-Auban - Image by Arnaud Leroy, 13 May 2005
The municipality of Château-Arnoux-Saint-Auban (5,102 inhabitants - Jarlandins and Saint-Aubanais; 1,834 ha) is made of the two villages of Château-Arnoux and Saint-Auban since 1991. It is located in Upper-Provence in the middle valley of river Durance (right bank), a few kilometers north the confluency of Bléone with Durance, 15 km south-east of Sisteron and 20 km west of Digne. It is today the fourth biggest municipality in the department of Alpes-de-Haute-Provence and a member of the Communauté de communes de la moyenne Durance.
Château-Arnoux is located on the road RN85, better known as Route
Napoléon. The Emperor took this road from Golfe-Juan to Grenoble when
he escaped from Elba island and reconquered the power for the period
known as the Cent-Jours (Hundred Days, March-June 1815).
The village (written Castrum Arnulphum in 1182) was originally built on the rock called montagne Saint-Jean. The "old village" was rebuilt in the XVIth century around a castle built by Pierre de Glandevès between 1510 and 1530. The castle, today the city hall, has two round towers in the west and two square towers in the east and a spiral staircase. In 1591, Duke de Lesdiguières and Duke de Lavalette prepared there a campaign of "pacification" of the regions of Forcalquier and Sisteron.
The village of Saint-Auban was created in 1915, when a big chemical plant contributing to the war effort, today owned by Elf-Atochem, was set up south of Ch&agirc;teau-Arnoux. Saint-Auban was built according to a rectilinear plan and most of the streets are named after famous chemists. A meteorological station, an airfield and an international center for gliding (place of the world championships in 1997) were later opened in Saint-Auban.
Source: Website of the Communauté de communes de la moyenne Durance
Ivan Sache, 13 May 2005
The flag of Château-Arnoux-Saint-Auban, as seen there by Dominique Cureau, is white with the municipal coat of arms in the middle.
The municipal coat of arms of Château-Arnoux-Saint-Auban is (GASO):
D'or au château de deux hautes tours pavillonnées jointes par un entre-mur, le tout de sable, maçonné et ajouré d'argent, accosté des lettres C et A capitales aussi de sable.
De Bresc [bjs94] gives a similar blason, from the Armorial Général:
... à un château composé de ..., adextré de la lettre C et senestré de la lettre A du même.
Brian Timmes gives the English blazon as: Or a castle double towered sable pierced and masoned between the capital letters C and A argent.
The arms are twice canting, for the castle and the initials of Château-Arnoux.
Dominique Cureau & Ivan Sache, 13 May 2005