This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Municipality of Rus (Andalusia, Spain)

Jaen Province

Last modified: 2010-03-20 by eugene ipavec
Keywords: spain | andalusia | jaen | rus | municipality | diagonal: descending (black) | dragantes (green) | crown: royal (closed) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors



[Municipality of Rus (Jaen Province, Andalusia, Spain)] 2:3
image by Ivan Sache and Wikipedia User:JohnboJaen, 30 Jun 2009
N.B.: reconstructed image, no original seen



See also:


Introduction

The municipality of Rus (3,807 inhabitants in 2007: 4,630 ha) is located in the center of the Province of Jaén, 50 km north-east of the provincial capital.

Most probably settled by the Phoenicians, subsequently fortified by the Iberians, the region of Rus was settled by several Roman "villae" (estates) that formed the "Republica Ruradensium." The Wisigoths built an oratory in the rocks of Valdecanales; the only hypogea kept in southern Spain, the sanctuary was proclaimed a National Monument on 21 March 1970. Following the Moorish conquest in 713, religious persecution against the Christians was ordered by Abderramán II; sacked and burned in 852, the hypogea was probably then used by the Mozarabs as a secrete place of worship. The Moors renamed the antique Ruradia Rus-al-Jabel and developed agriculture, building mills. They built at that time a triangular fortress, of which only one tower has remained. The town was mostly used as a camp during the wars between the Christians and the Moors; it could house several thousands soldiers and riders. After the Christian reconquest, Rus was mentioned for the first time in 1280 in a document signed by knights Martín Fernández de Rus and Martín Pérez de Rus. In 1628, King Philip IV granted the title of "Villa" (town) to Rus, which became independent of Baeza. The neighbouring village of El Marmól was incorporated to Rus in 1886; the villagers asked for secession in 1922 but the Provincial Court declared in 1927 El Marmól a "minor local entity.

Sources: Rus unofficial website, by Cristóbal Pulpillo López; Municipal website

Ivan Sache, 30 Jun 2009


Description

The flag of Rus was approved by the Municipal Council on 28 December 2007 and submitted on 2 January 2008 to the General Directorate of Local Administration, which confirmed it by Decree on 15 January 2008, published in the Andalusian official gazette (Boletín Oficial de la Junta de Andalucía, BOJA) No. 20 on 29 January 2008.

The relevant parts of the Decree are the following:

Rectangular flag, with the length one and a half the hoist, yellow (or) with a bend sable (black) of 1/5th of the hoist size. Centered and over the bend, the heraldic municipal shield with a height equal to 1/2 of the flag hoist.

The flag should be registered on the Andalusian Register of Local Entities, with its official written description and graphics (as originally submitted, but unfortunately not apprended to the Decree).

Source: BOJA, No. 20, p. 31, 29 Jan 2008

Ivan Sache, 30 Jun 2009


Coat of Arms

The coat of arms of Rus was adopted in October 1977 as Or a bend sable engulfed by snakes vert, a border gules with the inscription "R.P. RURADIENSUM" or. The shield crowned by the Royal crown closed. It is based on the arms granted in 1340 by King Alfonso XI to Álvar Sánchez de Rus as a reward for his behaviour in the Battle of Salado against the Moors.

Source: Municipal website

Ivan Sache, 30 Jun 2009