Last modified: 2010-03-20 by eugene ipavec
Keywords: juviles | pomegranate | stripe: diagonal (ascending) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Ivan Sache, 01 Jul 2009
N.B: reconstructed image, no original seen, with coat of arms after the municipal website
The municipality of Juviles (172 inhabitants in 2008; 1,500 ha) is located in the central part of the Alpujarra mountains, 101 km south- east of Granada, at an elevation of 1,255 m.
The fortress of Juviles (then written Jubiles), seized from the Christians by Abdarrahman III in the middle 10th century, was a Morisco stronghold in the Alpujarra Wars (1499-1551 and 1568-1570). In his "Historia de la rebelión y castigo de los Moriscos del Reino de Granada" (History of the revolt and punishment of the Moriscos of the Kingdom of Granada), Luis de Mármol Carvajal relates the events the took place there in: – Chapter XI: "Cómo se alzaron los lugares de la taa de Jubíles, y la descripción della" (How the places of the Taha* of Jubiles rose up and their description); – Chapter XVIII: "Cómo el marques de Mondéjar pasó al castillo de Jubiles, y los caudillos de los moros se fueron huyendo sin pelear" (How the Marquis of Mondéjar stepped at the castle of Jubiles and the Moorish chiefs left without fighting); – Chapter XX: "Cómo los cristianos ocuparon el castillo de Jubiles, y de la mortandad que hicieron aquella noche en la gente rendida" (How the Christians occupied the castle of Jubiles and killed the people who had surrendered the same night).
*an administrative division, here encompassing 12 villages.
Like many other Andalusian villages, Juviles has kept the memory of these events via a musical tragedy called "La fiesta de Moros y Cristianos" (Festival of the Moriscos and the Christians).
Source: Municipal website
Ivan Sache, 01 Jul 2009
The flag and arms of Juviles were approved by the Municipal Council on 28 April 2008 and submitted the same day to the General Directorate of Local Administration, which confirmed them by Decree on 13 May 2008, published in the Andalusian official gazette (Boletín Oficial de la Junta de Andalucía, BOJA) No. 60 on 28 May 2008.
The relevant parts of the Decree are the following:
Coat of arms: Spanish shield. Gules a fortress argent masoned and port and windows sable surmounted by a crescent and a Greek cross argent. A chief azure a pomegranate or faceted gules. The shield surmounted by a Royal Spanish crown closed.
Flag: Panel in proportions 3,2 (length to hoist); horizontally divided in three horizontal stripes (sic) with proportions 1:2:1: the central red and the outer blue. In the middle, the municipal coat of arms.
The flag should be registered on the Andalusian Register of Local Entities, with its official written description and graphics (as originally submitted, but unfortunately not apprended to the Decree).
Source: BOJA No. 60, pp. 60-61, 28 May 2008 [PDF]
Ivan Sache, 01 Jul 2009