This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

City of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria (Gran Canaria Island, Las Palmas de Gran Canaria Province, Canary

Last modified: 2010-10-08 by eugene ipavec
Keywords: las palmas de gran canaria | gran canaria | wheat sheave |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors



[City of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria (Gran Canaria Island, Las Palmas de Gran Canaria Province, Canary Islands, Spain)]
image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 17 Mar 2010



See also:


Description

The flag of Gran Canaria Island's capital city of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria is white with the coat of arms in its centre.

The arms consist of a shield is divided per fess, the upper half divided per pale. The 1st field shows in a red field a golden (yellow) tower, masoned black, having red windows and topped by three turrets. The 2nd field shows in a silvery (white) field a purple rampant lion crowned, armed and tongued golden. The 3rd field shows in a blue field a golden (yellow) tower, masoned black, having red windows and topped by three turrets. It is flanked by two palm trees in natural colour with two black statant dogs leaning towards the trees. The shield has a red bordure superimposed by seven pairs of crossed silvery swords with golden hilts. The shield is topped by a royal coronet and flanked by two palm branches. Beneath the shield is a white ribbon with a black inscription „Segura tiene La Palma“ ("La Palma is standing fast/safe").

The shield was granted to the island council – then the only insular institution – in 1506, by a letter of privilege (real cedula) by Queen Juana la Loca. It was later modified a few times. The 1st and 2nd fields symbolize the direct rule over Gran Canaria by the crown of Castile (in fact the arms of Castile and Leon are displayed). The tower in the field below symbolizes the fact that the city of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria was fortified. The palm trees allude to the victories over the British in 1595 under command of Francis Drake and the Dutch in 1599 under Van Der Doesz; they are furthermore an allusion to the island’s name, as are the dogs ("Canary Islands" means "Dog Islands"). Two of the pairs of crossed swords are in memory of the aforementioned victories, the other five represent battles during the Spanish conquest of the island. The ribbon also commemorates those deeds.

The flag was used as island flag until 1896, and is nowadays used by the city of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, though there is no proof that it had ever been adopted by the city officially. Two pairs of swords and the fortress in the 3rd field had been added later.

Source: [ebz07], p.78-80

Klaus-Michael Schneider, 17 Mar 2010


Former Flag

[Former Flag, Gran Canaria Island (Las Palmas de Gran Canaria Province, Canary Islands, Spain)]
image by Klaus-Michael Schneider, 17 Mar 2010

The former (1483) flag of the island was a white flag with a coat of arms (modified several times) in its centre, also used as the flag of the island's capital until it was abolished in 1896.

Source: [ebz07], p.78-80

Klaus-Michael Schneider, 17 Mar 2010