Last modified: 2012-03-31 by german editorial team
Keywords: landkreis bogen | bogen county | square (white) | lozengy (white-blue) | coat of arms: chief (lozengy) | coat of arms: per pale (bend sinister: wavy) | coat of arms: per pale (st. mary) | coat of arms: per pale (be |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
by Stefan Schwoon
Flag and coat-of-arms adopted 18th May 1954, abolished 30th June 1972
This flag is special it is the only official (former) county flag that does not conform to the stripes rule. It shows the county arms in the head and a lozengy of white and blue below. The county was permitted to use this design to honour the origin of Bavaria's symbols: the lozengy was originally the arms of the counts of Bogen who died out in 1235 and whose possessions (and arms) were inherited by the Wittelsbachs, Bavaria's long-ruling family. The flag was adopted on 18.05.1954. The county was integrated into Straubing-Bogen county which adopted the same design (with new arms). Sources: Linder and Schmidt 2000, arms image from Stadler 1964-1972.
Stefan Schwoon, 12 July 2001
From Ralf Hartemink's International Civic Arms website:
The arms were granted on May 18, 1954.
The upper part shows the arms of Bayern, derived from the Wittelsbach family, who, in turn, took the arms in the 13th century from the Counts of Bogen. The lower part symbolises the St. Mary pilgrimage to the Bogenberg. The wave in the lower sinister part symbolises the Donau river.
Literature: Stadler 1964-1972.
Santiago Dotor, 17 June 2003