This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Paraiso (Cartago, Costa Rica)

Canton de Paraíso

Last modified: 2013-08-13 by zoltán horváth
Keywords: cartago | paraiso |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

image by Ivan Sache, 23 July 2013

See also:


Paraíso Canton (68,872 inhabitants, 41,191 ha) is made of the five districts of Paraíso (20,601 inhabitants, 2,746 ha), Orosi (9,092 inh., 31,532 ha), Cachí, Santiago and Llanos de Santa Lucía (21,571 inh., 750 ha). Paraíso Canton was established by Law no. 36 of 7 December 1848, as the 1st canton of Cartago province. The canton was one of the first places in Costa Rica colonized by the Spanish settlers, as evidenced by the colonial church of Orosi and the ruins of the colonial town of Ujarrás. The town of Paraíso was founded in 1823 as El Paraíso; the shortening of the name occurred at an unknown date. Law No. 50 of 23 May 1832 prescribed the transfer of Ujarrás, considered as prone to flooding and infectious disease, to Paraíso.
Source: Cantonal website
Ivan Sache, 23 July 2013

The Flag

The flag of Paraíso is horizontally divided blue-yellow.
Source: Symbols' page, cantonal website
Ivan Sache, 23 July 2013

Coat of Arms

image contributed by Fred Drews, 24 March 2006