This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Antioquia Department (Colombia)

Departamento de Antioquia

Last modified: 2013-08-13 by zoltán horváth
Keywords: antioquia | colombia | palm tree | plane tree | matron |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

Official Flag
image by Jaume Ollé'

See also:


Communication from Esteban Rivera, based on the information of the Tourist Guide "Antioquia: World of Delights" -Turantioquia - 2th ed. 199, page 28:
"The flag has its origin in the University of Antioquia (Universidad de Antioquia - founded in 1822), that nearly since its foundation had between its emblems a green and white flag that was hoisted in all its official acts. In 1962, by order of the departmental Assembly it was decreed the use by the department of the same flag as that of the University of Antioquia.
With respect to the department’s coat-of-arms the government of the State of Antioquia determined by decree of 23 August 1812 to represent the coat-of-arms in the following form: a matron dressed and adorned like an Indian, sat at the bottom of a golden hill between the plane tree and the palm tree, with a copious river at her feet, wearing in her head the cap of the French revolution. The golden hill represents wealth and virtue; the palm tree, triumph and victory; the plane tree, abundance; the cap, freedom; the matron, the Antioquian race."
Jaume Ollé'

Antioquia adopted the flag by Ordenanza 6 of 10 December 1962 ; CoA adopted on 23 August 1812 by Decerto number 21.
Felipe Carrillo, 15 July 2002

The official information can be found at < (official description of the Coat of Arms in Spanish) and <> (official description of the flag in Spanish).
E.R., 12 September 2005

Flag of Regular Use

Flag of Regular Use
image by Jaume Ollé'

Flag with Coat of Arms

image by Eugene Ipavec and Jaume Ollé, 12 September 2005

Flag of Antioquia with Coat of Arms as seen at photo at <>.
E.R., 12 September 2005

Vertical Flag

image by Eugene Ipavec, 19 June 2006

I went to this gas station here in Medellin and saw several vertical flags. Among them is the vertical flag of the Department of Antioquia.
E.R., 19 June 2006

Metropolotian Area of the Aburra Valley

Medellín and its Metropolitan Area - Medellín, the captial of the Department of Antioquia, together with  other municipalities, form the "Área Metropolitana del Valle de Aburrá, or Metropolotian Area of the Aburra Valley.  This is for economic purposes, in order to get more funds from the central government.  They have an English page available at <>
This "Area" is made up of 10 municipalities, which are as follows:
La Estrella
Each one has its own flag, anthem and Coat of Arms.
Esteban Rivera Velez, 5 September 2001

Coat of Arms

image contributed by Felipe Carrillo, 7 July 2002

Seal - Historical

image contributed by Esteban Rivera, 09 August 2013

The fist Seal (which eventually developed into the first Coat of Arms) of the Department of Antioquia.
Source: taken from this website. The respective GIF image is here.

The inscription reads: "FE PVBLICA DEL ESTADO LIBRE E YNDEPENDIENTE DE ANTYOQVA" (in old Spanish), in current Spanish would be "Fé Pública Del Estado Lybre E Independiente De Antioquia", which translates as "Public Faith of the Free and Independent Antioquia"), surrounded by a palm (right) and and olive branch (left). Inside the Coat of Arms, in the first quarter, there's a tree with a crow (being the Coat of Arms of Santa Fé de Antioquia, the second quarter is a tower (being the Coat of Arms of Medellín, the third quarter is a lion (being the Coat of Arms of Rionegro, and the fourth quarter being two holding hands (being the Coat of Arms of Marinilla). Below, are the initials R.Z.C.B.Y.C., that stand for Remedios, Zaragoza, Cáceres, San Bartolomé, Yolombó y Cancán (hoy Amalfi).
Independence was declared on August 11, 1813 and this Seal was approved by the President of Antioquia, José María Montoya Duque, by Decree, naming it the "Gran Sello de Antioquia" (Great Seal of Antioquia) on September 2, 1813.
Sources: and
Esteban Rivera, 09 August 2013