Last modified: 2013-02-21 by rob raeside
Keywords: alberta | castor | beaver |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
image by Arnaud Leroy, 29 December 2005
Source: Castor town hall
The Town of Castor is located in the County of Paintearth #18, in east- central Alberta. It is 160 km east of Red Deer, 245 km southeast of Edmonton, and 290 km northeast of Calgary.
The beaver in is Castor canadensis
Phil Nelson, 29 December 2005
The name is probably French in origin - it would fit in with lots of other
Metis French names in central Alberta - Lac La Biche, Grande Prairie, Grande
Cache, Beaumont. It is certainly a canting arms on the flag.
Rob Raeside, 29 December 2005
Castor was established as a village on 26 November 1909 and erected as a town
on 27 June 1910.
The source given for the "heraldic banner of arms" is the grant of arms, flag, gonfanon and badge, registered on 15 August 2011 on the Public Register of Arms, Flags and Badges of Canada, vol. VI, p. 62 (not online yet on the website of the Governor General of Canada).
Per pale azure wavy and or two beavers sejeant respectant counterchanged.
Issuant from a mural coronet azure masoned and set with barley heads a beaver sejeant or.
PROUD HERITAGE - PROMISING FUTURE
Two coyotes or each charged on the shoulder with a flame azure and standing on a beaver dam proper.
A banner of the arms.
Gonfanon of the arms, its points azure, or and azure.
Ivan Sache, 31 January 2013
image located by Valentin Poposki, 8 December 2012
The town of Castor also displays an armorial flag depicting a vertical bicolour, blue and white(?) divided by a wavy line, and in each field a counterchanged beaver.