This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Cardoso Moreira, Rio de Janeiro State (Brazil)

Last modified: 2012-03-26 by ian macdonald
Keywords: rio de janeiro | cardoso moreira |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

Cardoso Moreira, RJ (Brazil) image located by Dirk Schönberger, 12 October 2011
redrawn by Ivan Sache, 11 March 2012

See also:

Description of the Flag

A green-white-green triband with the municipal arms centred.

Official website at
Dirk Schönberger, 12 October 2011

The municipality of Casimiro de Abreu (34,402 inhabitants in 2010; 461 sq. km) is located on the coast of the Rio de Janeiro State, 130 km of Rio de Janeiro. The municipality is made of the town of Casimiro de Abreu and of the districts of Professor Souza, Boa Esperança e Rio Douradao and Barra de São João. The Poço da Antas biological reserve, spreading of the municipal territories of Casimiro de Abreu and Silva Jardim, is one of the last places in the world where the golden lion tamarin can be seen (visits are permitted for scientific purposes only) in the wild.

The municipality is named for the poet Casimiro de Abreu (1839-1860), born in Barra de São João. Linked to the Ultra-Romanticism movement, Casimiro de Abreu stayed in Portugal from 1853 to 1857, where he started his literary career. Back to Brazil, he published in 1859 his masterpiece and last book, a series of poems entitled "As Primaveras" ("Springtimes"). The most famous of these poems is "Meus oito anos" ("My eight-years-old").

The flag of Casimiro de Abreu is horizontally divided blue-yellow-red with the municipal coat of arms in the middle. The coat of arms of Casimiro de Abreu is of Portuguese shape to symbolize the Lusitanian origin of the country. The mural crown stands for a "cidade". On the red part, the lyre surrounded by branches of laurel recalls the poet Casimiro de Abreu, the town's namesake..In chief is represented the St. John the Baptist church, symbolizing the Christian religion; the star stands for Friar Tali, founder of the early settlement. The scroll bears the years of foundation of the first chapel, dedicated to the Holy Family ("1748") and of the transfer of the seat of the municipality from São João to Casimiro de Abreu ("1938"). - Municipal website

Ivan Sache, 11 March 2012