Last modified: 2012-03-03 by ian macdonald
Keywords: parana | rio branco do sul |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Divided diagonally per bend sinister, blue-white-green, with a very wide bend bearing the municipal arms, centred.
Official website at
Dirk Schönberger, 22 September 2011
The municipality of Rio Branco do Sul (30,662 inhabitants in 2010; 814 sq. km)
is located in Curitiba Metropolitan Area, 30 km north of Curitiba. Rio Branco do
Sul is located in the Campos Gerais de Curitiba, a region originally settled in
1660 by gold scavengers. Among the settlements formed close to the auriferous
fields, Nossa Senhora de Amparo de Vutuverava was established around 1790. In
1825, Father Antônio Teixeira Camello asked the Bishop and Governor of São Paulo
to establish a parish, to no avail. Provincial Law No. 67 of 23 May 1861
transferred the seat of the parish of Votuverava on a plot located in
Assunguy de Cima, donated by Domingos Costa. The transfer was cancelled by
Provincial Law No. 225 of 16 March 1871. Suppressed in 1938, Votuverava was reestablished, as a district of Cerro Azul,
by Decree-Law No. 199 of 30 December 1943, and transformed into the
municipality of Rio Branco do Sul in 1947. Rio Branco do Sul is named for the
diplomat José Maria da Silva Paranhos (1845-1912), Minister of the Foreign
Affairs in 1902-1912. Ennobled at the end of the Imperial rule, he kept using
his nobility title, Baron of Rio Branco, after the proclamation of the
Republic in 1889. He contributed to the increase of the national territory by
obtaining positive arbitration in border disputes with the neighboring
countries: Amapá (against France via French Guiana), the Palmas Question
(against Argentina) and Acre (against Bolivia). Since he privileged pacific
solutions, the Baron is considered as the "Father of the Brazilian
Diplomacy". He was so popular that the schedule of the 1912 Rio de Janeiro
carnival was modified after the announcement of his death. "do Sul"
(southern) was added to the municipality's name for the sake of
differentiation from Rio Branco, the capital of Acre.
The flag of Rio Branco do Sul is 80 cm on 134 cm. The triangles are 98.65 cm in base on 55 cm in height (the dimensions of the triangle are obviously erroneous). The municipal coat of arms is placed in the middle of the white stripe separating the two triangles.
The coat of arms of Rio Branco shows a yellow gear wheel on a green background, representing industry. The three mountains on a blue background, with their proper colors (dark gray, white and red) represent ore and clay. The rising sun represents life. The shield is surmounted by a brown mural crown, the symbol of a "cidade". The shield is surrounded by branches of laurel and araucaria. The white scroll beneath the shield is inscribed "Rio Branco do Sul - 11-10-1947".
Ivan Sache, 25 February 2012