Last modified: 2010-12-03 by ivan sache
Keywords: sint-pieters-leeuw | leeuw-saint-pierre |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Municipal flag of Sint-Pieters-Leeuw, unconfirmed proportions - Images by Ivan Sache, 9 November 2007
The municipality of Sint-Pieters-Leeuw (in French, Leeuw-Saint-Pierre; 30,929 inhabitants on 1 January 2007; 4,038 ha) is located on the south-western border of the Region of Brussels-Capitale. The municipality of Sint-Pieters-Leeuw is made since 1976 of the former municipalities of Sint-Pieters-Leeuw, Oudenaken, Sint-Laureins-Berchem, Ruisbroek and Vlezenbeek.
Sint-Pieters-Leeuw formed in the past a domain (Heerlijckheydt van
Sinte Peeters Leeuw) ruled from the Coloma castle. Built as a fortress
in the 15th century, the castle was later transformed in a cosy
residence. On old maps, the castle is called "Hecke" or "Necke",
probably after Leenaert Van den Hecke, the son of a magistrate from
Brussels, who owned the castle and was buried in the church of Leeuw in 1599. Transferred to different lineages in the early 18th century, the castle was eventually obtained by Karel Vital Alexander de Coloma after his marriage with Baroness Eugenia Roose, owner of the castle, in 1745. She was a descendant of Jan Karel Roose, lord of Miremont, Spy
and Calsteren, who had purchased in 1687 the village of Leeuw from the
lords of Gaasbeek. Coloma revamped the castle, which has been known
since then as the Coloma castle. One generation later, Counf Jan van
der Dilft de Borghvliet inherited the castle, which stayed in the same
family until the death in 1947 of Countess Antoinette, the widow of
Count Albert de Limburg-Stirum.
The Coloma castle, used today as a municipal cultural center, is surrounded by a 15-ha park with a few historic buildings, such as the former vehicles shed (1731) and a gardening pavilion (late 18th century) housing today the Roses' Museum. The Coloma park also shows one of the biggest rose gardens in Europe.
Ivan Sache, 9 November 2007
The municipal flag of Sint-Pieters-Leeuw is vertically divided
According to Gemeentewapens in België - Vlaanderen en Brussel [w2v02a], the flag was adopted by the Municipal Council on 8 September 1977, confirmed by Royal Decree on 23 May 1978 and published in the Belgian official gazette on 6 September 1978.
The colours of the flag are taken from the municipal arms.
Some sources have reported the flag in 4:5 proportions instead of the usual 2:3 proportions/
According to the municipal website, this flag was already in use by the former municipality of Sint-Pieters-Leeuw.
Servais [svm55a] shows the municipal arms of Sint-Pieter-Leeuw, granted by
(Dutch) Royal Decree on 15 September 1819, as "Argent a lion gules",
the lion (in Dutch, leeuw, recalling the name of the town. The
oldest known municipal seal, dated 1436 but probably copying much older
seals, shows a lion holding St. Peter's key. In 1814, the key was
omitted from the grant submitted by the Municipal Council. The origin
of the colours of the arms is not known.
The arms of the new municipality of Sint-Pieters-Leeuws are: "Argent a lion rampant or with a key vert with five wards facing dexter placed per pale on the dexter".
Pascal Vagnat & Ivan Sache, 29 September 2010